Best Medicine For Migraines
Migraines is a very common condition that has been noted, as affecting females between the ages of 18-44 more than any other group. It has also been diagnosed less in males over the age of 75 (NCBI). Below you will discover a list of prescription and nonprescription medications that are very effective in treating migraines.
- Triptans are classed, as a serotonin receptor agonists. They are very effective in treating migraines, because they are capable of constricting the blood vessels, within the brain, while reducing edema and nausea. Axert, Frova, Maxalt, Alsuma, and Imitrex are brand name Triptans.
- Opiods are commonly prescribed for severe migraines, but not as often as Triptans, because they are considered to be very addictive. Roxanol, Demerol, Percocet, and Oxycontin are very common narcotics used to treat migraine symptoms.
- Prescription NSAIDS include Relafen, Celebrex, Mobic, and Vioxx are very effective in treating severe migraines.
Over The Counter Medications
- Ergots are not as effective, as Triptans, but they are effective in treating a migraine and cluster headache. This drug contains caffeine, belladonna alkaloids, and diphenhydraimine, which will reduce headache pain, nausea, and vomiting.
- NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that can be purchased OTC and through a doctor’s prescription. Aspirin, Motrin, Advil, and Excedrin are the most common NSAIDs that are effective in treating mild headaches.
- Preventa Migraine – The ingredients have been approved by the American Academy of Neurology. Based on scientific evidence the butterbur root is the only proven preventive treatment for migraines.